Journal Tech Tip was Re: Tuning pin sleeves.

kam544@flash.net kam544@flash.net
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:09:14 -0500

>...I don't see the benefit to this procedure. It seems to me that if you
>have to drill the hole extra large for the sleeve...
> Jon Page

It isn't that large, Jon.

>Then by installing the sleeve and expanding it with a shank you are
>further stressing the area...

The area isn't expanded or stressed.  Correctly drilled, the brass shank
repair sleeve fits neatly into the pilot hole, and the hammer shank fits
nice and neat into the brass shank repair sleeve.

Speculating on this matter won't give any results.  Doing this repair one
time will easily resolve all your concerns about the validity of this
fantastic repair tip.

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731