bass string differences And E.T.C.

Erwinpiano Erwinpiano@email.msn.com
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 07:07:39 -0700

Hi David

   I wanted to respond to your tone question but find it so subjective to
address in print I'm not sure how.  I believe that making bass strings is
science and art and I believe much of the art has been lost.  When the good
ole boys used to wrap string day after day in the factory there products
were heard quite immediately and knew what they were producing and what
changes they were striving for on there particular tone producing setup.The
perfect A -B comparison test.  Even our best string winders(makers) don't
get that opportunity as frequently as they'd like.  But In fairness were
expecting them to make strings for everything under the sun so our
expectations may be to high in some cases.

    But I do think that the larger issue is material even for plain wire,
and I believe that until wire makers are willing(which they're not ) to
duplicate the iron formulas and produce wire similar to turn of the century
that we will still have the experience of removing old wire ,plain and bass,
that still sounded quite good or even amazing for its age, and still wonder
why the new wire doesn't sound as good.

    As to sound I prefer a sound from bass strings that has a darker
component to it as well as the usual balanced over tones, kind of like
voicing for tonal  balance. The tone that an aged set of stwy bass strings
exhibits. I'm sure that's a description sound most will understand.
     I once replaced an original Baldwin 9 ft, set that was sounding a
little tired on the low end but the new strings didn't compare with the
sound of the old bi- chords, wow was I disappointed.
 I have used mapes strings and G.C. strings that have had that quality on
certain pianos and on others not as successful.  There's alot to it. It's
not all string,scale or voicing but as usual board impedances etc.
   For now I find the G.C. strings fit my tonal concept for the pianos I
rebuild most frequently(Stwys& Masons)  I will probably try the Sanderson
string soon though I'm still aghast at the price.

    Dale Erwin