Early Asian pianos

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:36:59 -0400

Can anyone explain exactly what is a "resin surfacer sheet"? What are =
it's physical characteristics? How is it used? Thanks

Terry Farrell
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: ANRPiano@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 22, 2001 7:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Early Asian pianos

  In a message dated 6/21/2001 9:32:02 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  glenn@graftonpiano.com writes:=20

    BTW, I want to point out that referring to this as an "Asian piano"=20
    lumps all pianos together that are made in Korea, Japan, China, etc. =

    It would be better to refer to it as a Korean piano, which a=20
    Schaeffer Piano is. The underlying reason why the polyester cracked=20
    is because they did not use a resin surfacer sheet on top of the=20
    wood. Yamaha does and as a result this type of damage is almost=20
    unheard of on a Yamaha. We have seen it on other pianos, including=20
    Boston pianos which lack the resin surfacer sheet.=20

  Thank-you for pointing this out.  I have seen this problem on a number =
of=20
  Asian pianos and 1960s European pianos and never new the cause other =
than the=20
  wood moving underneath the finish.  I have seen it on an early Kawai, =
but=20
  your right, I cannot remember seeing it on a Yamaha.  =20

  Andrew Remillard=20