Needling Technique

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 22 Jun 2001 23:18:32 -0400

At 1:00 AM -0500 6/16/01, jolly roger wrote:
>Hi Dan,
>              I do a certain amount of pre voicing of Abel hammers on the
>bench before hanging, then a 330 grit shoe shine to remove all needle
>marks.  The amount of voicing after, is reduced to minimal in most cases.
>Roger

Yo, Roger,

Can you elaborate. Are "all the needle marks" in the prevoicing to
make the sound warmer or brighter? Any Abels I've ever listened to
were warm and lush right out of the box. Do I hear you saying that
shoulder needling will send the hammers to the bright (or at least
firm up their focus)? And that the amount of shoulder needle is large
enough (and predictable enough) that it's more suitably done before
hanging?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it"
     ...........Steve Forbes, quoting his father, Malcome