Tuning pin sleeves.

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:58:45 -0700

told the customer that nothing could be done.

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 3:46 PM
  Subject: Re: Tuning pin sleeves.

  In a message dated 6/20/01 5:35:26 PM Central Daylight Time,=20
  piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca writes:=20

    I personally, have never used them, after my first try with them=20
    25 years ago. I threw the ones I had away, as I was unsatisfied with =

    the result, I found that with the metal to metal they would not =
hold.=20
    Are they still a recommended fix for loose tuning pins?=20
    Has anyone actually, used them and been satisfied with the results?=20
    Did I possibly use them the wrong way, and have been unjust in=20
    my condemnation of them?=20
    Regards,=20
    John M. Ross=20

  I have never used them, but I have seen them in lots of pianos. My =
experience=20
  is that they were used by someone who didn't know how to use them, or =
used=20
  them because they didn't' enough to recognize that they were at most a =
stop=20
  gap solution for a cracked pin block.=20

  Some of the time the "tech" pounded the new pin in, but forgot to =
shore up=20
  the pin block. As a result, not only did the pin block delimitate =
more, the=20
  sleeves were drivin intop the top rail of the action. This, of course, =
made=20
  removing the action a bit of a challenge.=20

  I would not recommend using them. If the piano has a cracked pin =
block,=20
  convince the customer it has to be replaced. If she can't afford that, =
use=20
  larger tuning pins, but warn the customer what is going on, so that =
she knows=20
  you didn't fix the problem permanently.=20

  Willem.=20