Supporting the pinblock

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:50:03 EDT

In a message dated 6/21/01 6:41:48 AM Central Daylight Time,
cedel@supernet.com writes:

> OK, so I am learning something here, maybe.  I always thought I needed to
> support the pinblock because the stress of pounding in the strings might
> break
> something.  Consequently, I didn't think it was necessary to position the
> support directly under where I was pounding; nearby was good enough.  Is
> delamination the real threat here?  So far I haven't had any problems, but I
> want to be sure to *keep* it that way.
>
> Regards, Clyde

It is best to place the support as close to the area where you are pounding,
preferably right under it. If you are restring the whole piano, and all you
have is a short support block, you need to move it so that the area your are
pining is supported. Because I replace so many blocks, I built, from a design
by Greg Hulme, a piano wide support block. (Actually, I had Alan Hoeckleman,
RPT, who worked for me at the time, built it.) He used two pieces of pin
block material, which were to narrow to use as pin blocks. In one piece he
epoxied 5   4" x 1/2" bolts. In the other block he drilled holes to accept
the bolts. The device can be adjust up and down with nuts and washers. Once
the contraption is in place, I don't have to worry if the suport block is in
the right place.

Willem.