Supporting the pinblock

Brian Trout grandrestorations@yahoo.com
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 06:06:53 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Clyde,

I'm not sure it's entirely cut and dried, one smooth,
cut, clear answer to why you might want to support
that pinblock.

Yes, there is damger of delamination, especially in
some of the older pinblocks.  Some of them don't need
any help at all to start falling down upon the action.
 And having a jack support underneath would help to
keep it from getting any worse.

And, yes, there are some stresses associated with
pounding in tuning pins.  Honestly and truthfully,
I've been guilty of not getting out a pinblock jack if
all I intended to do was tap in a pin or two with my
little tack hammer.  I'd be more worried about
delamination than any stresses from that.  But, if I
were restringing and swinging that two pound sledge,
you better bet I'd have out the pinblock jack.  I'm
sure you've seen the little gizmo that sits on a
person's desk that has a half dozen or so steel balls
on a string all hanging there together in a row.
You've seen what happens when you swing one ball away
from the end and let it come back and hit the rest.
One ball from the other end flys off in the same
direction.  One of the things that pinblock jack does
is to transfer some of that energy we're puttin' in,
to a different location on the piano, namely the
keybed most of the time.

Something else comes to mind, and I hope I don't mess
it up too bad...  When you stick in that pinblock
jack, you couple the pinblock / plate assembly to the
keybed which in my primitive thinking would make the
whole assembly more rigid and of greater mass than
each of those components would be alone.
Overdramatization would be trying to drive a nail into
a 2 X 4 while you were just holding it in freehanded
style in the air as opposed to trying to nail the same
nail in the same 2 X 4 with the same hammer while it
was sitting securely on a concrete floor.  (Does that
make any sense??)

Nothing like a short easy answer! ;-)

Take care, Clyde.

=====