Workin' for the Dealer

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 08:02:12 -0400

>What is the protocol for situations such as the following: I recommended to
>a woman who was looking for a new piano that she consider the Yamaha. She
>bought a new T121 from the local dealer. He called me and asked if I would
>like to do his warranty tuning (the free tuning she gets with the new
>piano). I said "sure". I tuned it the other day. This is the only work I
>have done for this dealer in more than a year. He's a pretty decent guy.
>
>Pretty nice piano except for a few loose bridge pins that are producing
>prominent false beats and a heavy key touchweight that ranges from 60 to 70
>grams downweight.
>
>I consider these characteristics in a new piano to be defects that need
>correction. If I bought this piano new, I would want to know of them. What
>information is commonly given to the piano owner and/or dealer in a
>situation such as this?
>
>Terry Farrell

If I were you -- I'd immediately inform the dealer. IF the dealer has
any sense, he'll authorize you to address the problems. The
touchweight problems might merely be key bushing easing/balance rail
hole easing work. If not, figure it out and see how much work it
would be to correct. The false beats -- seat the strings first,
perhaps CA the bridge pins if necessary.
Refer back to the Yamaha Service Bond thread.
Remain upbeat with the customer unless the dealer refuses to come
through -- in which case, before you both blow a gasket, call Yamaha
Tech Services -- they will straighten it out, if it comes to that.

Patrick Draine