Tuning pin sleeves.

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 04:46:55 -0300

Hi,
I found that when I was tuning a piano, where these had been=20
previously installed, ( by someone else) they weren't holding.
Possibly, they held initially, but after a while, I think they form
threads, and then turn too smoothly. I think the metal to metal
contact is just not a method that gives a friction fit.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Dave Nereson=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, June 21, 2001 4:00 AM
  Subject: Re: Tuning pin sleeves.

    ----- Original Message -----=20
    From: John Ross=20
    To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
    Sent: Wednesday, June 20, 2001 4:05 PM
    Subject: Tuning pin sleeves.

    Hi List,
    I just read where someone, recommended, tuning pin sleeves,
    for loose tuning pins.
    I personally, have never used them, after my first try with them
    25 years ago. I threw the ones I had away, as I was unsatisfied with =

    the result, I found that with the metal to metal they would not =
hold.
    Are they still a recommended fix for loose tuning pins?
    Has anyone actually, used them and been satisfied with the results?
    Did I possibly use them the wrong way, and have been unjust in
    my condemnation of them?
    Regards,
    John M. Ross
    Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
    piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca

    They're not the greatest, but if you don't have any oversize pins in =
your kit or in the car, and if the pin is really loose, they'll "get you =
out of the house".  Sometimes they're too thick and you can't even drive =
the original pin back in.  And if the hole is really worn, sometimes =
they're not thick enough -- depends on the wood, type of block, what the =
present humidity is, etc.  Oh, and usually the lip that's supposed to =
keep it from going too far into the hole doesn't work at all.  They're =
more for "emergencies", in my opinion.  --Dave Nereson, RPT