FWD: Is complete 5-Part Dampp-chaser unit always necessary?

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 22:08:19 -0600

Hi Ryan,

The Pacific Northwest is a *big* place. Data from environment Canada
suggests to me that even in Vancouver humidity levels *after* air is warmed
to liveable temperatures R.H. is considerably below 42%. That being the
case I would use a complete system. I did get documentation for every
capital city in Canada and there were none where a humidifier was not
necessary.

My personal opinion is that any home that requires central or winter time
heating is at risk of extremely low humidity levels.

I recommend talking to the folks at your local weather office. They have
accurate data and can also provide you with a formula for converting the
out door readings to indoor (heated) readings.

Please remember that drafts affect humidity controlled pianos (yes even
uprights). Back covers will improve the response of the system.

Some of my upright clients have indicated their instruments require more
frequent watering in the summer. This is the opposite of what I would have
expected. (and no, I don't have *real* data, just comments from a few clients)

If I were in a situation where R.H. was always high, I would not use the
standard humdistat but rather the "wet" zone humidistat.

I do wish there were a "stat" that could be easily adjusted to a particular
humidity level. At one time I did make my own controllers and could really
*fine* tune the humidity level in uprights. I stopped because of possible
insurance claims as I am not a licensed electrician.

Living where I live (4% to 84% humidity change each year) I would be lost
without good humidity control.

At 06:36 PM 06/19/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Dear List,
>This came to me for your consideration from Ryan Sowers, RPT:
>
>>>As technicians we try to educate our clients so that they can take the
>best
>care of their pianos. I have attended several classes on humidity control at
>conventions and talked with experienced technicians whose opinions I
>respect. Combined with my a bit of personal experience with these systems I
>have become convinced that they are of substantial enough benefit that we
>are doing our clients a disservice if we are not actively promoting these
>products. However there is an aspect of humidity control that I do not
>understand.  Is the humidifier component beneficial in environments where
>the relative humidity never drops below 42%? Since the humidifier is the
>most expensive portion of the system and also the only part that requires
>routine maintenance it is tempting to recommend installing the dehumidifier
>and the humidistat only.  I called dampp-chaser and asked them if they had
>studied the effectiveness this and they said no and that the only system
>they recommend is the complete system. Here in the Pacific Northwest the
>indoor humidity practically never goes below 42 % except in cases where the
>client has wood heat. I believe in the value of humidity control, but am I
>wasting my client's money recommending the 5 part system when a simple 2
>part system might be as effective?
>
>Sincerely,
>Ryan Sowers RPT
>Puget Sound Chapter<<
>

>Jeannie Grassi, RPT
>Associate Editor, Piano Technicians Journal
>mailto:jgrassi@silverlink.net

Regards,

mailto:drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.xoasis.com/