CA and Bridgepins

Richard Brekne rbrekne@broadpark.no
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:29:59 +0200

Edward Meijer wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> I have learnd that white glue and metal contact will harm the metal. It wil
> rust and gives brown nasty spots on wood.

Hmm of course, when you first mention it.. the obvious. Water, metal, rust..
Tho I am not sure what he let the stuff pretty much dry before reinsertion of
the pins.. I will ask him about it, and ask him why they did this for front
rail pins and balance rail pins at the factory.

> We tryed the old warm glue on the bridgepins of  a  restrung (or is it
> restringed) Bechstein (1920) grand for about 10 years ago.
> The glue gets real hard and it wil give no stains.

> That instrument had on the treble side a lot of strings that  has been
> giving troubles with tuning.
> Famous self vibrating strings?

That sounds kind of funny in English... we simply say false.. does any body say
self-beating ?

> In The Netherlands we say "zelf zwevende snaren"

"Selvsvingende strenger" in Norwegian.

> Well what happend.
> After all these years this instrument has a very nice clear treble side.
> It has no self vibrating strings anymore.
> Just what jou say:
> The falsness dissapeared completely.. > this thing sounds now clean as a
> whistle.
> And that after 10 years.
>
> Greatings from:
>
> Edward Meijer
> The Netherlands

Thanks for the info.. Thats the first time I have heard of hot glue being used
for this job as well.

Hils!
--
Richard Brekne