alligatored

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 16:04:35 +0200

> From: "Richard Moody" <remoody@midstatesd.net>
> Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 23:40:32 -0500
> To: <pianotech@ptg.org>

What I < like here is again the similarity between our languages.
I am certain that your 'crackle' is a direct cousin from the Dutch verb
'kraken'.. to crack.
>From the time when - ze French - so arrogantly took possession of 'the
Republic' here, we have inherited their version of cracked varnish :
craquelé .
I like your version "alligatored" even better because it represents the very
practical (and funny) aspects of American English.
A good example of this practical aspect in American English we find in for
instance our National museum of art : the Rijksmuseum (where a number of the
very famous Rembrandts are).
Most texts displayed as a helpful guide are in three languages : German,
English, and Dutch (sometimes French too).

The German translation takes forever
The Dutch translation asks for concentration
The English translation one forgets immediately

(;>)))))))

> I love it. ! ; )   I would have written krackle and then been
> corrected by a better speller to crackle which has been traditionaly
> referred to as "alligatored" as in the hide of an alligator.
>
> Say does "moody" really mean "out of tune" in Dutch?  Or was someone
> pulling my leg?
> ---wondering ric

Zey vur puhlink yor lekk, mein Freund!

It is a misinterpretation of the word stemming (in German : Stimmung),
because (and this is silly about the Dutch language) we have a double
meaning for the word 'stemming'.
one is mood, and the other means tuning.

Now I am not a learned person, anybody can tell that immediately except my
best paying customers (; .....but according to me all this fuss about
stemming and mood etc has (possibly) to do with the word stem which means
voice.
A literal translation of voicing would be 'stemmen'.. to give it a voice, a
stem.
On the other hand, if I would say in English : I am in an unpleasant mood,
the Dutch translation could be "Ik ben ontstemd" dis-voiced..without a
voice.
Stemmen also means : to vote.. to bring out your 'voice'
Lastly, there is "stemmingmakerij" : the making of mood

Mood is stemming, but not the 'Stimmung'
Out if tune in Dutch could be :

Vals (false)
Ontstemd (with a double meaning)

innit fun?