Mystery grand...THE ANSWER

Sat, 16 Jun 2001 04:22:25 -0500

Terry,

At 21:20 06/15/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>Maybe nobody has experienced this particular cause of sluggish dampers in
>the treble/bass. Here is the answer:
>
>After noticing the problem, I began in earnest to solve the mystery. After
>removing the action I almost immediately noticed the problem. The piano
>movers had apparently been in a hurry when re-attaching the front legs;
>each has 2 large Allan Lag bolts to secure the front legs, but for some
>reason that's not very clear, one bolt on each side is roughly 1/2" longer
>(After checking there is absolutely NO need for the longer bolt) than the
>other,

<gerschnipped>

Oh, really?

Oops!   How well attached is the back leg????  Seems to me that there are
pianos which have two lengths of leg bolts - 4 short/2 long. The longer
ones are for the back/pointy end/#3 leg.  Checking, you might find that
that leg is only held on by one or two threads.  (Hint - Don't lean on the
piano while checking...)

Conrad Hoffsommer -  Decorah, IA

Usually I try to take it one day at a time, but lately several have
attacked me at once...