Mystery grand...THE ANSWER

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 21:20:24 -0700

Maybe nobody has experienced this particular cause of sluggish dampers in
the treble/bass. Here is the answer:

After noticing the problem, I began in earnest to solve the mystery. After
removing the action I almost immediately noticed the problem. The piano
movers had apparently been in a hurry when re-attaching the front legs; each
has 2 large Allan Lag bolts to secure the front legs, but for some reason
that's not very clear, one bolt on each side is roughly 1/2" longer (After
checking there is absolutely NO need for the longer bolt) than the other,
and if the longer bolt is placed in the BACK part of the front leg, it will
"push" up on the action, causing the dampers to hang up on the rail
bushings, not to mention other action problems.
Same problem in the other Kohler Grand (Same case type), but this time the
longer bolt was pushing the action up on the LEFT side causing the same
damper dilemma in the bass section. As i unscrewed the longer bolt, i could
see the action "settle" back down, then i switched to the shorter bolt.
After placing the longer bolts in the front of leg hole, It was now
"blocking" the action from sliding back into the keybed, so i removed that
bolt, replaced the action, THEN put the bolt back in! All worked perfectly,
but now in order to remove the action, the front leg bolt must be partially
UNscrewed for action removal. WHEW!!! My Dealer has called the manufacturer
to let them know. WOW!