Soundboard Evaluation

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 08:39:16 -0500

>Not wanting to stir anybodies drinks....

Of course you do, or you wouldn't approach it this way.

>I thought everyone just got convinced
>that it was just as fine to simply re-rib the old panel.

No, everyone didn't just get convinced of this, and that isn't what Del
said in the first place.

>So why not just remove
>the ribs, machine crown them and glue the whole thing back togther with
renewed
>crown and save the expense and environmental concerns of cutting down a new
>tree.
>
>Richard Brekne

Where are you going to get the wood thickness at the ends of the ribs to
machine away to form this crown? The ribs are replaced in this scenario.
The difference in cost here between reusing the old panel and replacing it
with new is the cost of the panel, with fitting and thicknessing time, less
the cost in time spent carefully removing the old one and making the
necessary repairs - including stripping for refinishing. The reason techs
try to save the old panel in the first place is the notion that the panel
contains the soul of the sound of the piano (which incidentally currently
sounds bad enough to warrant this work), and must be salvaged whatever the
cost. I disagree, and will opt to replace the panel if I have to go to the
trouble to put a set of ribs in anything.

Ron N