Soundboard Evaluation

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:51:08 -0400

> First, congratulations on the keybed. Good show.

Thanks, I'm real happy with it.

> I say you're right, and since you have built that fine new keybed for it,
> it will be the piano that you "rebuilt" that will have that sound.

What's that, the sound of termites munching?

> How does
> one tell the difference between zero and negative bearing with a rocker
> gage?

Well, clearly we are pushing the limits of such a gauge, but you can do it -
if there is enough negative bearing. Just look to see whether there is a gap
under the middle point. You can even use it as a component bearing gauge by
moving two points off the bridge and just putting one of the end points on
top of the bridge - you can see the negative bearing a little better if you
do it this way. You get creative when your good tools break (the foot of my
Lowell gauge broke - gotta get another).

Terry Farrell