visegrip "voicing"

Duplexdan@AOL.COM Duplexdan@AOL.COM
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 00:27:58 EDT

Dan,

Thanks for the suggestion about steam. I've never resorted to that technique
so far, but it may come to that some day. In my case with the Sojin hammers I
did use the vise grip technique succesfully using a small pliers for the
middle and upper register and a large one for the bass. A few firm squeezes
on each hammer around the shoulders seems to have supplied the necessary
breaking up of the internal structure so that when I applied the needles they
were effective.

I did find something strange. And that is that with a single stong needle I
was able to go about one sixteenth into the hammer at various angles. there
seemed to be a thick skin around each hammer that permitted the needle to
enter the surface up to a hard core. I proceded to penetrate slightly into
the core on each stitch.

I followed this with a three needle approach, which seemed to work. The
result was rather startling both to me and the customer. What started out to
be a box turned out to be a beautiful piano.

Thanks for the input, and I'll keep the steam in abeyance.

Dan Franklin, Singing Tone