Rolled bridge: cause? diagnosis? treatment? Or maybe a floating pinblock?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:41:21 -0400

Just for the record, I have a "rolled bridge" on my 1900 5' 11" Bechstein.
The whole long bridge is leaning forward. Put a straight edge on the bridge
top parallel with the strings and it quickly runs down below the level of
the strings on the forward/speaking side of bridge, and way up in the air on
the backscale side. Put a string on the bottom of the board and the area
between the long bridge and the belly rail has MAJOR reverse crown, but the
area between the long bridge and the curved side of the rim has nice
positive crown! A real "S" shaped soundboard! She is a beauty. And there is
no cantilevered bass bridge there - it is glued directly to the soundboard.

Now I am certainly not suggesting I know what caused this - did the bridge
roll forward and bend the soundboard, or did the part of the soundboard
collapse and suck the bridge down with it - kinda like the sink holes we
have here in Florida! I don't know. My guess is that it would be mostly a
soundboard problem - it certainly is now!

The base bridge actually rolls forward at the tenor end, and backwards at
note #1.

It will be interesting when I get the board out and the bridges off. I
wonder how much of the twist will be permanent in the bridge root. I figure
the possibility exists that I will need to make complete new bridges for it
because I may find excessive twist in them.

"Course, maybe Del will be redesigning the bridges for me anyway!!!!!

Hey Del. Is the little tenor bridge you speak of something you like to put
on all pianos under, say, 6-foot? In general terms, what are the factors
(now counting money or hassle - but rather only from a design standpoint)
that make you lean one way or the other. I saw an 1885 or so Steinway with
one, and my 1912 Mason & Hamlin 54" upright has one also. (The Steinway was
a joke - local dealer - new black paint, strings, hammers - looked good -
sounded eigh - $50,000 - I wish I could post what I am thinking).

Terry Farrell