Rolled bridge: cause? diagnosis? treatment? Or maybe afloating pinblock?

Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:22:14 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@KSCABLE.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: June 13, 2001 8:03 AM
Subject: Re: Rolled bridge: cause? diagnosis? treatment? Or maybe afloating
pinblock?

> >> Bridges don't roll.
> >
> >Some Sohmer bridges do so roll, soundboards - sometimes ribs follow
> >them. Is not a Sohmer, though.
> >
> >Apologies,
> >
> >Clark
>
> No apologies necessary. It's been too long since I saw one, but weren't
> agraffes on those bridges alternated up back/up front, to balance out the
> torque?

Not on those I've worked on. Relatively standard looking agraffe (accept for
the long, deeply threaded stem) with the wire coming in through the agraffe
and up over a wood counterbearing bar just behind them. Then on to the
hitch.

I haven't seen one of these roll yet, though. The wood member sistering the
bridge that goes along underneath the soundboard seems to hold them pretty
square. But then, my experience with two pianos is hardly definitive.

-- ddf