Leg Plate Screw Anchors

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:42:57 -0400

Yes, you saw oak. The new keybed ends where the legs go are an exact replica
of the original - they are a sandwich construction of a hard maple plank
that the key frame rests on, an inner block of oak, and a bottom plank of
oak - total thickness 1-3/4". I realize in this particular case the original
legs came loose because termites ate the wood. Even oak ain't no dern good
if it ain't there! I would need new screws - where do you get bigger screws
like plate screws and leg plate screws? Another concern I have about screws
is that oak & maple are so hard, I should think they really need to be
tapped to make threads - how does one do that? It might not be any more
difficult to use the inserts or T-nuts as someone else mentioned.

Waddaya think?

Terry Farrell

----- Original Message -----
From: "Greg Newell" <gnewell@ameritech.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 11:42 PM
Subject: Re: Leg Plate Screw Anchors

Terry,
    In those pictures wasn't that oak I saw? Do you really think that those
new
screw holes will pull out? If you used a good hardwood I'd be inclined to
just
put traditional screws back in. I'm sure they'll hold just fine. Usually the
times I see stripped screws is in a softwood keybed with really lack lustre
wood
in the first place. You're not putting the same thing back so the same thing
isn't likely to happen.

Greg

--
Greg Newell