Bench Regulation: was Decker Grand

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 07:33:08 -0400

"Why not regulate it in the piano? It will save you an extra trip."

I certainly understand that often it is best to regulate in the piano. =
BUT, in some cases and for some techs it may not be.=20

First of all, this action has likely not been touched for 80 years. I =
will be replacing all keyframe felt and I always find a number of =
repairs for an old action like this - many of which is easier done in =
the shop.

I have only refurbished maybe six or eight grand actions. I like to do =
it in the privacy of my shop - so if I need to ask a question, or go =
read Reblitz again, or experiment with some goofy regulation adjustment =
several times before I get it right, I can do this without looking =
stupid in front of my client.

I will likely spend at least 10 to 15 hours working on this action. I am =
1/4 Polish, so I can say the following: This couple is right off the =
boat from Poland. She yells at him constantly in Polish. I was there for =
one hour and my ear hurt (I had enough of that during childhood with my =
mother and grandmother for a lifetime). I don't need 15 hours of that. I =
can sit in my shop on a nice comfy seat, with my doggies, listen to =
Willie Nelson or Neil Young or Nigel Kennedy, and take short breaks to =
play ping-pong with my son (the little dude aced sixth grade - straight =
A's!!!). Besides, I can use my own bathroom as many times as I wish.  =
:-)   And beyond all that, I like my shop!

I am very interested in understanding action geometry and developing =
expertise with the Stanwood balancing, etc. When I get an action like =
this, I will spend an hour or two measuring, weighing, observing and =
scratching my head trying to learn more about how/why actions work or =
don't work. This is best done in the shop.

Bench regulation: arguably not as efficient, perhaps not as monetarily =
rewarding, but way more an integral part of a wholesome, and spiritually =
and intellectually rewarding piano/life experience.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20