visegrip "voicing"

Dave Nereson dnereson@dimensional.com
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 00:18:25 -0600

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Duplexdan@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 10:03 PM
  Subject: Re: visegrip "voicing"

  Dave,

  I have a Sojin Grand piano with very hard hammers. Even the heaviest =
of=20
  voicing tools hardly penetrates the sruface. I have successfully and=20
  laboriously needled the hammer acorss the shoulders through the crown =
and=20
  achieved a very successful result. My question is,

  IS THIS GOING TO BE TEMPORARY ? or would breaking u the whole hammer =
with=20
  vise grips be advised. If your experience allows you to comment on =
this=20
  problem I would be most grateful for your comments.

  Dan Franklin, RPT Singing Tone

  I don't know which Dave you mean, but I'm a Dave, so here's my 2 =
cents:  Most voicing is somewhat temporary in that the more the piano's =
played, the more the felt packs down and gets hard under the string =
grooves, gradually making a brighter and "harder" tone.   As somebody =
else mentioned, vise grips are more for gross adjustments in the tone -- =
a "pre-voicing" procedure -- but their effect is quite noticeable.  I =
think they "break up" the felt more than needle jabs, that is, you get =
faster results with less tedious work, but ya gotta be careful.  If your =
needling was successful, I'd just leave it for now and if the tone gets =
brash & bangy within a few months or a year, maybe do some squeezing =
with the grips or similar tool.   --Dave Nereson, RPT, Denver