In a piano worth $100,000's is this a good practice ?

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 22:49:33 -0400

My comments below are not meant to nit pick details, but rather to take a
jab or two at the Steinway "mistique".

> I just had a long walk (My wife is off to the US, she is American you
know)
> through a very quiet park, and I had deep thoughts about what a waste it
is
> indeed to sort of throw away the most expensive concert piano in the world
> and just replace it with the next one.

Why would you throw a good instrument out or replace it with the next one (a
new one I assume?) - why not just replace (and redesign) the soundboard,
etc.? If that is all that needs doing, new board, bridge caps, a few
thousand bucks and you are back in business - likely sounding better than
new - certainly cheaper than shelling out another $90,000.

And the next point - I'm don't keep up real well with concert grand prices,
but isn't Steinway on of the least expensive among decent piano
manufacturers? I believe big top end Bosendorfer, Fazioli, Bechstein, and
even Yamaha and Kawai, just to name a few, are more expensive (some quite a
bit more expensive). I think it is this "Steinway thing" that has folks
assume that because Steinway is obviously the best piano in the world (now
don't think for a minute that I would say that - this is simply what most
non-piano techs think, IMHO), it is also the most expensive.

Terry Farrell