Is age a factor?

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 13:39:29 -0400

Friends,

An ad in the local paper lists a Yamaha console for sale in walnut,
"mint" condition.  Since I keep watch for pianos that I think might
interest some of my clients, I called the seller, asking the model,
serial number and age of the piano.  She said she didn't have the model
or serial numbers at hand and declined to give the age, saying that for
a better quality piano that is not a factor.  She did mention it was one
of the last consoles made by Yamaha in Japan.

What do you think?  Is age a factor?  I would have thought so, along
with condition, of course.  When did Yamaha stop making consoles in
Japan for the USA market?  I'm interested in any information or
opinions.

By the way, I did not discuss the piano any further with the owner.  I
feel that if someone is trying to hide pertinent information, I'm not
interested, regardless of how nice the piano might be.  Am I right or
wrong?

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT