Soundboard Compression & Cracks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:11:23 -0400

Del wrote:
> ....Compression-set in wood is not a uniform thing. It
> occurs first and most in the late-wood portion of the annual ring. So
there
> will be more compression set in an individual board having a higher
> percentage of late-wood.

Why would late wood be more subject to compression set that early? Late wood
is more dense, hence stronger. I would think the early, less dense wood
would compress more. Is it that the late wood, being more dense, does not
"bounce back" (bad phrase, but I mean that late wood is not as resilient) as
well as the early wood?

Terry Farrell