The bottom line versus integrity

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 06:21:47 -0400

I couldn't resist adding this little bit of potential trivia about =
Mozart. I know the subject is not Mozart's way of life nor how he died.  =
But since it was mentioned let this bit of discovery be added to your =
perception of Mozart.
I worked for a pathologist who had a fascination with Mozart: his works, =
his life, and more importantly is death. He later became president of =
the "Friends of Mozart" in Vienna. He was commissioned by the American =
Medical Association to do a pathological study on the death of Mozart =
with the purpose of putting to rest the mystic of his demise ( death).  =
The book was about to be finished and made available in 7 languages. =
Unfortunately, the doctor passed away and the work was never completed.  =
But for 10 years while he was doing the studies I got an ear-full each =
time I tuned the piano about the latest discoveries.
This pathologist was completely convinced beyond a shadow of doubt that =
Mozart was to some degree, a savant. Not necessarily an idiot savant, =
but a savant.  His social graces were absurd at best yet he possessed an =
understanding of composition that yet, to this day,can be explained.  =
How anyone could here a symphony in completed form and just begin =
writing without making changes goes beyond the scope of reasoning.  He =
was pure genius in that regard.  His social graces, on the other hand, =
were horrible...even uncontrollable at times.
He was also convinced that Mozart died of a kidney cystic fibrosis =
disorder, a disease that lays dormant for an average of 3 decades than =
surfaces.  Death follows soon after. His proof was a picture of Mozart's =
son. In the picture you could see that one ear was lower than the other. =
 This is particularly important because the displaced ear is a classic =
genetic side-effect  from parents who had kidney disorders.  It is the =
ear that develops early in the embryo, as the ear initially acts as a =
gill or filtration device.  Kidney disorders affect the development and =
placement of the ear, thus most off-springs usually have this  =
condition.
Anyhow this information never made it to the book shelves and possibly =
never will. The book is not completed and the studies remain with his =
wife.
As a musician who has studied Mozart for many years, this information =
was particularly troubling for me.  I couldn't imagine taking Mozart off =
the high pedestal. But the more I've learned about the man the more I'm =
inclined to recognize that the good doctor might have been on to =
something.=20
Anyhow, sorry to get off the subject of "bottom line" but again, =
couldn't resist adding these 2 cents.
Tom Servinsky, RPT=20
  ----- Original Message -----=20