Resonance through understanding

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 18:03:12 +0200

> Carl Meyer wrote:
>
>> I'm feeling quite resonant tonight.
>
> Hmm.. I am feeling ...well... lets not get into that..:)
>
> I read your post with interest as I said earlier on... and got to thinking
> about
> this and a few other things that have been tossed around and started thinking
> about the words we use to describe things and our attempts to quantify the
> phenomena these words respresent. It struck me that there is this huge pool of
> words we use to decsribe the sound of a piano. Words like "body", "full",
> "luster", "rich", and so on. I am sure we could make a sizeable list of these.
> These expressives represent in each case our attempts to describe what we
> experience when we listen to music... be it the sound of a piano, or a
> symphony,
> or a rock and roll band. Such a rich body of descriptive terms we have.
>
> Then it also struck me how cold limited the description of soundboards is that
> attempts to confine all these sensations into a few simple easily measureable
> quantities such as the "speed of sound through wood",  "impedance",  "internal
> friction" and a very very few others. Not that these quantities lack value in
> themselves.
>
> I am also reminded of what I earlier experienced in the Piano Disk
> adventure...
> watching as each new version of the softeware got more and more sophisitcated
> in
> the attempt to quantify something as simple and yet as complex as a single
> finger playing music on a piano key.
>
> In the end I personally am impressed with what science can tell us... and what
> an aid that information can be as it develops. But I am also distressed when
> those who take time to remember that we are dealing with music first and
> formost
> and point to the many many sensations we experience that have yet to be
> quantified by any science are told that these sensations are either
> meaningless
> or easily explained away by one, rather simple acoustical model. And if you
> dare
> to disagree ???....
>
> Doesnt really sound so very musical to me....
>

> --
> Richard Brekne
> RPT, N.P.T.F.
> Bergen, Norway
> mailto:rbrekne@broadpark.no

Look, Ricardo mio,

We have to consider 'the fact' (hey!) that there are, roughly speaking
(that's me, remember?)  three kinds of people in da world :

People who think with da mind,
People who think with da heart,
and People who think with da belly or gut.

And they are always! having problems with each other, always!

If any person - should - wish to do something about this 'problem', the
answer then lies in the words : understanding, compassion, and a willingness
to be patient.

If we would have an understanding of how people can differ from each other
(and are yet of the same stock), we could have compassion with mankind.
We then would show patience, because we realize that in the end we probably
all mean the same, but we - maybe -  don't know it yet!

friendly greetings
from
Antares,

Amsterdam, Holland

PS.

The person who has really succeeded in acquiring the combined conscience of:
mind, heart, and belly, will probably not be a..... piano tuner

GRIN