Kiln dried vs Natural seasoning

Tony Caught caute@optusnet.com.au
Sun, 10 Jun 2001 22:22:15 +0930

----- Original Message -----
From: Richard Brekne <rbrekne@broadpark.no>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2001 7:31 PM
Subject: Kiln dried vs Natural seasoning

Tony wrote

> > It is my opinion that a soundboard that is crowned by ribs only will
last
> > longer in quality of tone than any other and that if the board is also
open
> > air seasoned, it will last even longer. Also that a board made that way
will
> > improve in tone after it has been played for some time.

Richard asked

>  What do you base this one Tony...? very curious... grin.

Most if not all pianos built before 1910 (rough date) had soundboards that
were seasoned timber.
Both methods of crowning were used.
In average climatic conditions one of those two types of crowning will crack
and come loose from the ribs easier than the other.

In my opinion (saves flame suits) it is the soundboard that cracks that is
not  under compression  and being freer to move (expand and contract) it
loosens on the ribs and cracks.

This board when fitted with new ribs or just with the ribs reglued will
still give a good clear resonant tone.

Other boards that show signs of compression in pianos of the same vintage,
generally have a lack lustre tone. It OK but something is missing.

You have read most likely that the cracks are really expansion gaps and as
such in my opinion, should not be filled with shims or with epoxy because
this is then starting the compression of the soundboard, thus increasing its
deterioration rate.

Groove the crack out so that the timbers do not touch, fill with a glue that
moves.  Colour the glue if you want but don't make it solid.

Ouch,,, what have I said. ?

Tony