advertising & stuff

rufy@rcn.com rufy@rcn.com
Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:29:59 -0400

Kallie,

I agree with Willem's advice, except that the classified section of a daily
paper is expensive and never worked well for me. But weekly shoppers have
worked great. And I would add: in the weekly shopper (if the ads are
organized into categories), put your ad in the most general "merchandise for
sale" section. This is the section that everybody who picks up the thing
will browse through. People generally don't turn to a weekly shopper when
they're specifically looking for a piano technician, so it's not as useful
to have your ad in a "services" or "musical instruments" section. Just keep
running it and eventually you'll get calls from people who've seen the ad
repeatedly and suddenly decide it's time to ge their piano tuned-- or who
have been told about it by someone else.

Joseph Giandalone, RPT

----------
From: Wimblees@AOL.COM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: advertising & stuff
Date: Thu, Jun 7, 2001, 3:15 PM

In a message dated 6/7/01 11:37:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
kccs@netralink.com writes:

Hi List

Which advertising method do you find to work the best in our profession?

Kallie Swanepoel
PIANO TUNER
South Africa
(Member of the SA Association

Other than word of mouth, I think the best advertising, for the dollar
spent,
is the Yellow Pages. (what ever he equivalent is in South Africa). Most
customers know my name, or if not, they would recognize it when they see it
in print. The best to look for that is in the YP. I do get some new
customers
from the YP, but that is not why I keep my name in there.

The next best advertising is the classified section of the newspaper. If you
live in a large metropolitan area, with one or two daily newspapers, the
best
place to put your ad is in a local weekly shopper type newspaper. But in
order for it to be effective, you need to keep the ad in there week after
week.

Willem Blees