Grand Piano simplex actions

tonythetuner tonythetuner@ntlworld.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 11:35:32 +0100

Hi Willem,
I'm just a dumb kinda UK tech, but we have in this country two main =
kinds of grand action....the "normal" one which we call "double =
repetition".........the levers(whippens) are fitted with a repetition =
lever through which the jack protrudes to nestle under the =
roller;......... and then the other kind without the repetition lever, =
but a jack operating more like an upright action. I think the "double" =
bit is a reference to upright actions having to return to complete rest =
position before a second strike can be obtained. In the grand, the =
repetition lever holds the hammer proud so the jack can return under the =
roller before the key has been fully released. Hope this is not too much =
like "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs"
Regards Tony Court.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2001 12:21 AM
  Subject: Re: Grand Piano simplex actions

  In a message dated 6/5/01 9:47:43 AM Central Daylight Time,=20
  tonythetuner@ntlworld.com writes:=20

    Just wondering if anyone has a check list for regulating simplex =
actions in=20
    grand pianos ..........you know, the ones that aren't double =
repetition=20
    actions.=20

  Please explain what a double repetition action is.=20

  Willem=20