Yamaha upright noises

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:50:40 -0500

At 7:14 PM -0400 5/31/01, Billbrpt@AOL.COM wrote:
>The fact that there is a squeak indicates there may be a scrubbing
>movement happening which means incorrect alignment.  How does the action
>feel?  Does it feel unusually heavy or seem to have some unusual feeling
>resistance in it?

I know the feeling you describe, I have an 1883 Steinway upright that
was brutal to play until I got the capstans lined up correctly, that
was 15 years ago and a lesson I've never forgotton. This action shows
none of those signs. I feel that it is a slight roughness on the
plastic surface of the capstans and the factory black lubrication
that is causing the noise.

At 6:42 PM -0700 5/31/01, Tom Driscoll wrote:
>You might try  rubbing the capstans with a  block of hammer felt
>while still in the  piano,followed by a shot of mclube on the
>capstans .

If it comes back I'll give Toms method a shot before removing the
keys to the buffing wheel. Thanks to both for your replies.

--

--Dave

Dave Doremus
Algiers Piano Works