Violins as pianos & pianos as violins

Tue, 5 Jun 2001 07:36:37 -0700

To Whom It May Concern:

Violins are not pianos and pianos are not violins.

The string tensions in violins are different from the string tensions in
violins. Piano soundboards are thicker than violin soundboards. Piano
soundboards have shapes that are different than violin soundboards. Piano
soundboard loading is different -- heavier, much heavier -- than violin
soundboard loading. A violin placed under the stress of just four average
piano strings would rapidly be crushed to oblivion.

OK. Both the piano soundboard and the violin soundboard are driven by
strings through a bridge. But the violin soundboard has a post under its
bridge to keep it from vibrating. Piano soundboards use ribs to disperse the
vibrating energy to the far reaches of the soundboard. Violin soundboards do
not use ribs. Piano soundboard mounting systems are mechanically clamped
systems. Violin mounting systems are semi-hinged mounting systems.

Why do we insist on comparing violins with piano soundboards? I can't really
think of any ways in which they are similar except that they both vibrate.
But then the hood of my car vibrates -- is it now a piano? Train rails
vibrate. Clarinet reeds vibrate. Drum heads vibrate. But we don't get off on
comparing piano soundboards with train rails, do we? Why violins? Why not
cello's? Why not basses?

Violins and pianos are not the same. They operate using different
principles, different support mechanisms, different driving mechanisms --
they are different instruments. Period. Dot. They are not the same. They are
not similar. They are not remotely alike.

So. Please...let us please stop trying to make these direct comparisons
between the piano soundboard and the violin. They are not at all the same
thing. And the comparisons don't work.

Regards,

Del
(Not a violin designer.)