hanging square hammers - was Keybed Inserts

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 09:46:55 -0400

Perhaps some are not aware, but Ronson will reproduce your square grand
hammers fully - including all trimming and horrendous boring angles, etc.!

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ralph & Frances Thorn" <pianoralph@sympatico.ca>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Monday, June 04, 2001 10:37 AM
Subject: Re: hanging square hammers - was Keybed Inserts

The service of re-felting offered by Abel certainly would be less work
than doing it on your own.  Haven't gone that route yet, but will
soon.  I heard about another company offering the same - Desfougères,
in Paris.  This information from a technician overseas -

"For pianos earlier than 1940 the Paris firm of Desfougères does
exellent work. For 19th century pianos they are simply the best in
the world. They are also the only ones in the world with the skills
and special equipment to do Erard-hammers (various layers of
leather and felt). They are used to work with their three wooden
presses or with hand clamps. In their main department they have a
large hydrolique press for modern and semi-modern hammers. They also
do every thinkable type of damper-refelting. For French
pianos they have an interesting stock of original parts.  It sounds
like I am working for them, but I can assure you that I merely state
what is best for restorations, and this is certainly not just my
opinion."

Ralph Thorn