It won't be a Steinway anymore!/soundboards improving with age?

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 01:30:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Del,

It would be interesting to see the difference in two
instruments after six months--one that has been
*played* heavily, and one that is put in a corner and
left. I wish that wood were not an inherently non
homogeneous material which would make such a test more
valid.

It is not the wood fairies--but the vibrational
fairies that are likely needed.

It used to be thought that violins took about ten
years to reach their full potential. Some fiddle
players do leave their instruments on top of speaker
cabinets to try to *break them in* faster. There are
several American makers producing very wonderful
sounding violins--all they seem to lack is the name on
the fallboard *LOL*.
-
> > My own opinion, subjective as it is, is that
> playing music and the
> vibrational effect > on internal friction or through
> the cosmic alignment of
> wood cell fairies or whatever > has something to do
> with the tonal
> improvements,
>
> Right. It's the wood fairies.
>
> Regards,