mystery

Paul tunenbww@clear.lakes.com
Mon, 4 Jun 2001 14:31:49 -0500

Ed
I've got one standing in my shop made by Estey. It's a reed organ built =
in a piano case.

Paul Chick
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Ed Carwithen=20
  To: Piano Tech List=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2001 9:09 PM
  Subject: mystery

  Hello experts...

   I was called to look at an instrument that has me mystyfied!  It is =
in a piano cabinet.  Looks like a very ornate upright cabinet of the =
early 1900's.  It has a full piano keyboard.  There are two pedals which =
look strange and angle away from each other.  The pedals pump a bellows, =
and the keys play tones like a harmonium.  There is NOTHING behind the =
top-front panal.  It is empty!  A great big boxy open space.  All of the =
mechanism is below the keyboard and above the pedal space.  It sounds =
like one of those portable camp organs.  But it looks like there ought =
to be an upright piano action in there...There isn't.

  It is made by H. Lehr and Co. in Easton, PA.  According to my atlas =
H.Lehr & Co. was located in Easton, Pa., and they made Lehr & Lafayette =
pianos.  This ain't no piano!!!  The first number in the atlas for Lehr =
pianos is 18,000.  This serial is 4642.

  This isn't something someone has modified.  The keys are obviously =
designed for the action which is stowed beneath.  There is a label =
describing it as a Grand Organ   =20

  Has anybody seen one of these babies?  Does anyone one anywhere have =
any information at all about this instrument. =20

  Enquiring minds want to know.

  Ed Carwithen
  John Day, OR