Keybed Inserts

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 16:21:40 -0400

At 9:58 AM -0500 6/3/01, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>>What wood(s) are acceptable for keybed insert construction? What is
>>the grain orientation?
>
>Hard maple, end grain.
>
>>Do I really need the insert at all if the new keybed piece in that area is
>>hard maple?
>>
>>Terry Farrell
>
>I would.
>
>Ron N

I agree. End grain takes wear far better than any orientation of side
grain. If the loud pedal is used with any regularity, the glide bolts
will easily burnish a trough in side grain and will need to be
readjusted regularly. Also make it maple. I had the good fortune to
find a 1" maple dowel the day I was inserting glide bolts into a 1913
Sohmer grand which never had them before. A 1" Forstner bit in my
neighbor's right angle drill and 12" slices off the dowel were just
the ticket.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."