Stretching 5th&6th Octaves

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Sun, 3 Jun 2001 14:15:14 -0400

You too?  Stretching the stuffing out of the killer octaves?

When I first got an Accu-Tuner, I had the worst time trying to figure out
what it was thinking of when calculating for those octaves.  I guess what it
was giving me were mathematically correct specs, but they always sounded
flat.  I have since tinkered with ways to fool it into giving me the octaves
I want in the killer range.

The visual equivalents to tuning methods would be, I should think ...
a] electronic tuning device = computer-generated drawings
b] strictly technical (paying excruciatingly close attention to beat speeds
etc.) = mechanical drawing (no freehand)
c] musical with room to fudge as necessary = freehand drawing, with some use
of drafting tools

Off the wall again
Z! Reinhardt  RPT
Ann Arbor  MI
diskladame@provide.net

----- Original Message -----
From: "Howard S. Rosen" <hsrosen@gate.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, June 03, 2001 12:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

Kevin Ramsey wrote:

<!--StartFragment-->>    My priorities are: Unisons-1, Octaves-2, Fifths-3,
Fourths-4,
Thirds-5,
>Tenths-6, Seventeenths-7,................ You get the picture. I am NOT
>ever
>going to de-tune a good octave in order to satisfy a 17th.

I've heard this idea expressed before and I wonder how people arrive at
these priorities? As a serious musician I have always measured my own work
by what the music sounds like. Lately I have been really stretching my
octaves to the limit in order to have the melodic aspect of the treble (5th
and 6th octave) sound good against the lower areas. That means beating
double octaves in order to achieve really good triple octaves. I think that
this would be a 'no-no' to many techs and I even question this concept
myself. Yet yesterday, after one of these really big stretch tunings, I had
the rare privilege of standing back and listening to the customer play music
and I must say that I thought it sounded nice. Perhaps a different selection
might show the beating double octaves. I don't know. After 30 years, I'm
still struggling to conquer the piano beast. The bottom line in assessing
the tuning is...How does the music sound? When we set our tuning priorities,
the answer lies, again,  in how the music sounds.

Howard S. Rosen, RPT
7262 Angel Falls Ct.
Boynton Beach, Fl  33437

hsrosen@gate.net