No Bushings/Tuning Pin Size

Ralph & Frances Thorn pianoralph@sympatico.ca
Sun, 03 Jun 2001 08:56:28 -0400

Terry,
You're lucky to be avoiding squares.  Try to stick to that plan - life
will be easier!  Old instruments do spice up things though, and keep
the mind active.
Yes, pins should and likely started out centered in the hole.  There
are so many shortcomings in the 'conventional' square, among them is
the pblock design, and usually its materials.  There's just not enough
resistance to tension - no load applied to the plate from the block at
the tuning pin end of the plate to the plate, except through the pins
and the few plate screws.  Pins shift and lean.  Just a bad scene
altogether.  Just do what seems logical and you've done your best with
this instrument.  Your plugs will be a big improvement on the original
block material.  Next square I do to this extent I'll sure try new
plugs; it makes so much sense.  Done it in uprights and some grands
(like 1860's S&S, and early Broadwoods) but not in a square.

Ralph Thorn