mystery

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 19:09:06 -0700

Hello experts...

 I was called to look at an instrument that has me mystyfied!  It is in =
a piano cabinet.  Looks like a very ornate upright cabinet of the early =
1900's.  It has a full piano keyboard.  There are two pedals which look =
strange and angle away from each other.  The pedals pump a bellows, and =
the keys play tones like a harmonium.  There is NOTHING behind the =
top-front panal.  It is empty!  A great big boxy open space.  All of the =
mechanism is below the keyboard and above the pedal space.  It sounds =
like one of those portable camp organs.  But it looks like there ought =
to be an upright piano action in there...There isn't.

It is made by H. Lehr and Co. in Easton, PA.  According to my atlas =
H.Lehr & Co. was located in Easton, Pa., and they made Lehr & Lafayette =
pianos.  This ain't no piano!!!  The first number in the atlas for Lehr =
pianos is 18,000.  This serial is 4642.

This isn't something someone has modified.  The keys are obviously =
designed for the action which is stowed beneath.  There is a label =
describing it as a Grand Organ   =20

Has anybody seen one of these babies?  Does anyone one anywhere have any =
information at all about this instrument. =20

Enquiring minds want to know.

Ed Carwithen
John Day, OR