It won't be a Steinway anymore!

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 2 Jun 2001 08:58:50 -0400

"Hmmm.. I wonder about this statement.  I have heard pianos that =
definantly improved with time. Not your heavily used instruments that =
get just plane beat to smitherins... but Intruments that get used a good =
deal, nicely as it were... and significantly (me thinks anyways..) they =
all seemed to have a pretty optimal environment."

In the short term, yes, many variables. But take 100 hi-quality violins =
at  age 100 years and 100 hi-quality pianos at age 100 years. Which =
group sounds/plays most like they did when new - or better. I think the =
violins win. No?
 =20
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, June 02, 2001 4:40 AM
  Subject: Re: It won't be a Steinway anymore!

   =20
  Farrell wrote:=20

    A few thoughts. Pianos are much more like cars than they are =
violins. Violins improve with age, pianos do not.--

  Hmmm.. I wonder about this statement.  I have heard pianos that =
definantly improved with time. Not your heavily used instruments that =
get just plane beat to smitherins... but Intruments that get used a good =
deal, nicely as it were... and significantly (me thinks anyways..) they =
all seemed to have a pretty optimal environment.=20

  We dont really know all what happens to wood used in acoustics over =
time. I know Del and Ron tend to point to what little is known about =
this and point out that nothing about this knowledge base can explain =
any improvment acoustically.. but then like I said... there is really =
lots and lots we simply dont know... lots of questions we havent even =
dreamed of asking.=20

  I personally firmly believe that any wooden instrument has the =
potential to mature in a positive or negative manner... all dependant on =
how its treated. Tho admittedly I can not explain why.=20
   =20
   =20

  Richard Brekne=20
  RPT, N.P.T.F.=20