It won't be a Steinway anymore!

DGPEAKE@AOL.COM DGPEAKE@AOL.COM
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:43:05 EDT

In a message dated 6/1/01 10:14:48 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
dporritt@post.cis.smu.edu writes:

> I have been in this work for just under 30 years.  I've heard about any
> question or comment possible by customers.  There's one though, that
> completely stumps me!
>
> If a piano needs a new sounding board I often here "...but it won't be a
> Steinway anymore."  I often come up with a lame analogy to a race driver.
> He doesn't care what kind of fuel pump his car has as long as it's the
> fastest it can be.  Do you want your piano to be the best it can be, or do
> you want to keep this old sounding board.
>
> Does anyone have a good, but not glib, answer for these people?  I just
> don't understand their thinking.
>
> dave

A Steinway salesman told me once that for a Steinway to be rebuilt it has to
have genuine Steinway parts, genuine Steinway strings, Steinway pinblock and
genuine Steinway soundboard. Send it to Steinway to have a new board
installed. Anything less is no longer a Steinway.

When I do an estimate for rebuilding, I ask the client which hat should I
ware? A Steinway hat, or technicians hat? Do I put genuine Steinway parts, or
should I put the best parts I know to use? I prefer the later. Most customers
want the piano to be the best it could be. It is not hard to explain.

Dave Peake, RPT
Portland Chapter
Oregon City, OR
www.davespianoworks.com