It won't be a Steinway anymore!

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 22:23:04 -0400

Just how many pianos have the Steinway family members built in the last =
century. I mean Steinway family members, working in the factory, =
actually getting their hands dirty and sweating it out.  My bet is less =
than 1% of the total output since their inception into piano building =
has any of the family members actually built Steinway pianos.  =
Stradivarius, ahhhhh, that was a different situation. He alone, built =
all the Strads and thus, in my opinion, those are true Strads.  =
Steinways on the other hand...a whole different story. =20
I hope you are seeing where I heading with this direction.  Just what is =
a true Steinway?
Were the CBS years real Steinways?
In theory a Steinway is in the design and choice of woods.  If a =
soundboard needs replacement, and as long as the design and theory are =
adhered to, the Steinway can be correctly remanufactured to the Steinway =
specifications.
Obviously there are many on this list who have strong feelings that =
Steinways can be and should be... more. They embellish the soundboard, =
change some of the configurations, change leverage ratios in the action, =
and basically create a embellished version of a Steinway.=20
Is that still considered a Steinway?
Does that deplete the value of the piano?
At this point I say who cares.
My attitude is if a rebuilder does a magnificent job overcoming some =
inherent problems and creates this instrument into a masterpiece...a tip =
of the hat to them.  If the action turns out to be a much smoother =
performing machine than before, is that wrong?
I guess I'm more humored at the notion as to what is considered a real =
Steinway. =20
There are many of great Steinway pianos gracing many concert halls and =
recording studios with no Steinway parts in the action. Do you think the =
artist knows or cares? How about Joe Public buying the CD? Really, who =
cares. If it sounds great and it happens to be a Steinway....great.  =
Enjoy it.
Tom Servinsky, RPT