theory

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:05:28 -0700

Thanks, Dave, for your definitive explanation of interval nomenclature.
Having been blessed/burdened with musical training myself, I am equally
concerned with the proper spelling of both musical intervals and words.
The convention of the use of the word "sharp", I believe, only applies
to the physical key and to dogmatically call the black notes of
intervals "sharps", irrespective of their relationships to other notes,
is to ignore musical convention and I don't think we want to knowingly
do that.

I don't expect that everyone on this list has a music education and this
mistake will be made, of course. But I'm not sure that this point has
been made before and I'm glad that you did.

Tom Cole

Dave Nereson wrote:

>     To my mind, "piano tuning theory", music theory, and historical temperaments are all the same theory, that is, the mathematical relationships in the Western, or European diatonic scale (as opposed to 5-tone scales, 1/4-steps, etc. used in other parts of the world).  Yes, F to G# is an augmented second and F to Aflat is a minor third, because Fanything to G anything has to be some kind of second,  and F anything to A anything has to be some kind of third.  Regardless how those intervals are tuned, whether pure ("just") or tempered, they should still have the same names, the accidentals (sharps & flats) determining whether they're 'perfect', 'Major', 'minor', 'diminished', or 'augmented'.  They can even be doubly augmented or doubly diminished, depending how they're spelled.  But somewhere along the line, piano tuners decided to call the black keys "sharps".  We re-lacquer or refinish the sharps, not the flats, even though they're the same.  The reason was probably so they!
 c!