Re-veneering fallboard.

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Fri, 01 Jun 2001 06:28:29 -0400

At 09:40 PM 06/01/2001 +1200, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>Slight change of subject from Cranky Baldwin dealer. I have a job coming
>up where I will be replacing burr walnut veneer on a
>fallboard. I've veneered flat surfaces with no problem but was wondering
>what method of clamping some of you might suggest along with your favorite
>glues and methods. Looking forward to any responses.
>Regards, Graeme Harvey, New Plymouth, New Zealand

Hot hide glue produces a strong bond without clamping.  If the surface is
curved, soaking the veneer in hot water will make it more pliable (towel
dry before installing). (I suppose larger pieces can be draped with hot,
wet towels). Pins will also hold it to a curve.  A veneer 'hammer' helps to
coax the veneer down as well. An iron will help to smooth things out and
reactivate any glue which might need it. Before the glue finally sets, coat
the surface with a dilute glue solution, this will help the bonding process
and any residue will sand off easily.

Practice on some smaller scrap pieces if your are not familiar with this
application.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.