the word "harp"

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Tue, 31 Jul 2001 06:43:54 -0400

When I read Brian's comment I did a little research to see if I could find the
word "harp" in any piano-related publications I have on hand (I have only a
few).  The Reblitz book has it in the index but says only "see plate."  My gut
feeling is that it's not improper but maybe archaic -- used in the past more
frequently than in the present, and used more in some locales than others.

As for the harp being an instrument, that is certainly true, but many words
have more than one meaning.  Recently I looked up the word "run" in the
dictionary -- 67 definitions when used by itself and more than double that when
used with other specific words, such as "run up," "run through," etc.  Just a
little rabbit trail I thought might interest someone.

Regards, Clyde

"Kevin E. Ramsey" wrote:
 I disagree Brian. The term "harp" is a common synonym for plate where I come
from. Not to be confused with Frame.