Petrof Grand.

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:15:21 -0700

Eric Frankson wrote:
    ".  I've been told by piano technicians that the Petrof grand is=20
way underpriced, and the increased sales of the pianos verses the Yamaha =
seem=20
to point to that ( the choice being, purchase a mass produced =
machine-made=20
Asian instrument using the least expensive materials to create a piano =
of a=20
certain performance level, or buy a hand-built labor-intensive European=20
instrument from a 145 year old company that uses some of the finest =
woods in=20
the world...at the same price point.  Hmmm?).  The veneers in Mahogany =
and=20
Walnut are really beautiful, too.  The new instruments seem to need a =
bit of=20
voicing (they come in rather bright, but in a bell-like way verses a =
brassy=20
way), but have tremendous sustain.  This new crop of Petrof's are =
exceptional=20
for the price."

    Glad they're so good, Eric. I look forward to encountering one of =
the newer ones. But, and it's a big but, I've seen so many "hand built, =
labor intensive, hand crafted" pianos where everyone has dropped the =
ball to the extent that you just want to rebuild the thing, that I'll =
take a Yamaha or a Kawai and day of the week. I KNOW that I can make one =
of those perform like a dream and sing like a violin. When I hear "hand =
crafted" I usually think that "OK, this one will probably take about a =
day and a half to get right. "=20
    But, as I said, I haven't seen too many Petrof's yet, maybe they're =
the exception to the rule.

Kevin  Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com=20