Steinway

Tom Servinsky tompiano@gate.net
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 09:35:05 -0400

Terry,
You are missing the point. How many products, useful daily products, have
you bought for home and personal enjoyment which have maintained it's
original cost or appreciated  in it's value? Any value!
The $45,00 Lexus 400, the $85 toaster, $900 kitchen table, or how about the
$28,000 22 ft I/O boat you just couldn't live without?  Very few items built
for this world economy can stand up to the Steinway legacy.  Definitely,not
a Story & Clark grand.
  I do know that if it weren't for Steinway pianos many rebuilders and
remanufactures would not be able to have the type of successful business as
they do. The Steinway piano, both used and new, has supported many
successful businesses for the past century.
  Everyone who plays the piano has been "brain washed" that Steinway is and
has always been the greatest piano institution ever built. It was designed
and built it right from the first day and have changed very little ever
since ( aside from the CBS years). There's ample proof Steinway has
withstood the test of time ( 2   world wars, great depression,etc) and has
continued to build a fine product.    Again, many can argue the down and
dirty truths of the "real" going's on, but the public's perception remains
dedicated to the notion that if you want value, buy a Steinway.
I'm not sure I follow your rationale about loosing $80,000 value, but in our
neck of the woods, unrestored Steinway grands sell as high, if not higher,
than a new Yamaha C3. Restored Steinways  sell for 50-60% above that. That's
not too shabby!
I think that what it "boils" down to is we are  debating trivial
philosophical explanations as to why the sell & resale market is what it is.
The costs of manufacturing new pianos is pretty cut and dry, as their costs
are driven by actual operating costs. The resale market, on the other hand,
is based upon other factors. Is the company still in business, are parts
still available for that model, bla bla bla. It's also driven by perception,
the thing  I think this debate is rooted in.
I get a kick out of watching the PBS antique auction channel. I love how
they come to the agreement on a particular item's worth.  It's purely hype
and perception that drives the collectable market, and Steinway is apart of
that market.
Tom Servinsky, RPT