Heimlich this Henry F. Miller

Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Sun, 29 Jul 2001 10:17:40 -0600

Jim, Rahgah,Ron.. Thanks for the input.

At 11:11 PM 7/29/01 +1000, you wrote:
>Guy,
>
>I too can only concur with Roger that planing the bridge might not be in
>the best interests of the tone quality.

And it's the last thing I wanna do, really.

>  Either a half round bar or a hard maple bearing (which could be
> conveniently profiled to achieve the desired down bearing) might help you
> to achieve the results you're after.

Piece-o-cake, and like y'all say, reversible. Like it better than easing up
on the plate. They don't always move, and this is the most massive plate!

>Bridge height does seem to have a bearing (if you'll forgive the term) on
>the sustaining qualities. Low bridges tend to encourage a short shocky
>tone. I prefer  the bridge height to be at least 30 mm and nominally
>around 34 mm or over. Of course, the rigidity of the ribs will also
>influence sustain, but the bridge has a significant influence.
>Ron O

These bridges are actually taller than most. Pins, cap, and all exposed
glue joints are very good. Recent rebuild (elsewhere) with a nice shimming
job, etc.

 >......Does this particular thingee have
nose bolts in the "dead" section?
Jim Bryant (FL)

Yup. No capo, all aggraffes, massive bolts on each strut right about where
the capo would cross if it was there, just behind the belly rail, if not
actually through it. May be the culprit.

 > Dropping the tension on most of the notes and listen to a few at pitch
will also give you some indication, if the sustain and tone opens up, then
you have some thing to go on.
Just a thought.
Roger.
PS great having lunch together at Reno

Good idea. Can do that "on the way" towards installing a half-round anyway.
Lunch was great, the whole gig was fan-flippin'-tastic. Was good to seeya.

Thanks again, folks. I'll see the instrument again this week, and give you
a follow-up.

Guy
Ft Stinkin' Desert

"I leave you as I found you -- only some time later."
                                 -- John Lennon