Strange screw heads

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 15:12:20 -0400

At 06:50 PM 07/28/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I wonder if anyone (in the UK?) has come across action screws like these?
>I tuned for a new customer yesterday, an old straight-strung upright, circa
>1920, pretty standard cheap quality English upright.  I took the action
>out, and noticed that the flange screws had odd heads.
>I pride myself on having every kind of screwdriver - flat, Philips, Torx,
>Hex, Pozidrive, Security Torx etc.  These screws, however, had heads with
>SQUARE holes.  Looked like Hex heads at first, but square.  A new one on
>me!
>
>Best regards,
>
>David.
>
>P.S. I got one out using just an ordinary flat screwdriver placed
>diagonally in the hole.

McFeely's (the Square Drive Screw people) has screw drivers for these.
And all types of screws.
800-443-7937
www.mcfeelys.com

Their HB series of "ball" shaped square tips allows the driver to be at an
angle to the screw head, perfect for getting into actions and around strings
for sound board repair. I use square drive screws for upright s/b repair.
I order the self-tapping ones with "nibs", these are small ridges under the
screw head which help to countersink the head. I drill a pilot hole in the
board and let the screw do its thing in the rib.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net