Baldwin Rim Construction

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 28 Jul 2001 12:05:08 -0400

Hello Del - other Baldin expert (or nearly so):

I am looking at a 1979 Baldwin R for a close friend. I understand that in
the 20s, rims were all hard maple and now they are all maple. But sometime
during the 1960s? 70s? 80s? Baldwin went to poplar or whatever inner and/or
outer rims material. What were they doing in 1979??????

Also, just in general anyone know about anything bad or good about a 1979
Baldwin R? I service a 1920s R extensively and it is one of my favorite
pianos, so I am expecting very good things from this piano - but I realize
also that 1979 was right in the middle of a weak quality era of american
piano construction. Any comments? Thanks.

Terry Farrell